Backpacking through Europe
DONE BY: Jiyoung Jeong | Milton Academy '16 | Stanford U. '21
LENGTH: 4 weeks
- Spain (Madrid, Barcelona)
- France (Bordeaux, Paris)
- Switzerland (Wengen, Zermatt)
- Italy (Venice, Rome, Florence)
PERSONAL GROWTH: ★★★★☆
KIND OF PERSONAL GROWTH MOST EXPERIENCED:
- Became more outgoing
- Gained confidence
- 9am: Wake up, eat breakfast
- 10am-8pm: Explore the city
- 8pm-3am: Eat dinner, go out with people that I met during the day
DESCRIPTION OF WORK/ACTIVITIES DONE:
- Walking tours
- Wine tasting
- Going to museums
- Going out to bars/clubs
- BOOK YOUR Airbnb AND PLANE/TRAIN TICKETS IN ADVANCE, especially during the summer!
- Stay in each place more than you think you'll need, so that you're not rushing from place to place and are able to enjoy being in each location
- Be aware of what you're doing as a tourist. It's easy to forget that some of these places are homes to many people; be respectful
- Pack light. I used https://thesavvybackpacker.com/europe-packing-list/, but you won't even need everything mentioned in the site, so think twice about each item before packing
MOST MEANINGFUL LESSON TAKEN AWAY:
- Do not make immediate judgments about people that you meet.
- Try to treat each conversation as an interesting way to hear about another way of life.
- Kind acts from strangers go a long way!