Naples IVHQ Program in Naples, Italy
HOW OPPORTUNITY WAS FOUND: www.volunteerhq.org
LENGTH: 2 weeks
LOCATION: Naples, Italy
PROGRAM COST: $700 + $40 for food on weekends
PERSONAL GROWTH: ★★★☆☆
- 11:00 am: wake up
- 11:00-1:00pm: explore the city
- 1:00-2:00pm: eat catered Italian lunch
- 3:00-7:00pm: volunteer at La Tienda afterschool program
- 8:00pm-9:00pm: eat catered Italian dinner
- 9:00pm-1:00am: free time, going out in the city, hanging out with other volunteers
DESCRIPTION OF WORK/ACTIVITIES DONE:
Sight seeing, exploring the nearby cities and islands, volunteering with kids ages 6-15, helping those kids with homework, running activities with the kids.
HOURS WORKED PER WEEK: 20 hours
- Accommodation in a shared single-gender room inside of a hallway of volunteer dorms.
- Some options for breakfast and then a choice of catered lunch and dinners during weekdays.
- If you plan on volunteering abroad, it really helps to know the language. Luckily, I speak Italian fluently and could communicate with the children I was volunteering with, but my fellow volunteers had a huge language barrier.
- Some IVHQ programs are new and not very well organized (at least in Naples), so choose one that has been done before and gets good reviews. I highly recommend IVHQ (they made the whole process easy and had great options for volunteering abroad) and particularly the Naples program because the housing is fantastic (there is a gorgeous rooftop terrace, the rooms are fairly spacious, the bathrooms are clean, there is a nice common room and kitchen, and the accommodation is right in the heart of the city) and the city has so much to offer and is filled with the kindest people you will ever meet.
MOST MEANINGFUL LESSON TAKEN AWAY:
How to be generous like Neapolitans--unendingly without begrudging or resentment.