Farming in Alentejo, Portugal
DONE BY: Isabella Bradford-Johnson | Honley High School, Manchester Metropolitan University | Manchester, U.K.
HOW OPPORTUNITY WAS FOUND: www.workaway.info
LENGTH: 4 weeks
LOCATION: Alentejo, Portugal
PERSONAL GROWTH: ★★★★☆
- 7:00am: Wake up
- 7:15-8:00: Feed the animals (Pigs, Hens, Sheep, Tortoises, Ducks/Geese.)
- 8:00-11:00: Working on farm, usually weeding and cutting grass to give to sheep
- 11:00-11:30: Break
- 11:30-1:30: Back to work
- 1:30~: Free time to sunbathe/read/socialize dogs in the kennel.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK/ACTIVITIES DONE:
Mowing the grass, feeding the animals, walking the dogs.
HOW MANY HOURS OF WORK DID YOU DO PER WEEK?
IN EXCHANGE OF WORK, PROVIDES:
- 3 meals a day, 7 days a week
- Accommodation in a caravan with no heating
MOST MEANINGFUL LESSON TAKEN AWAY:
Everybody is different and their lifestyles must be respected even if you don't agree with it.
MORE NO-CRAP TALK:
Would not go here; I didn't have a great experience with the owners of the farm.