Working at Bruegger's Bagels in Newton, MA
DONE BY: Jiyoung Jeong | Milton Academy '16 | Stanford U. '21
HOW OPPORTUNITY WAS FOUND: Bruegger's website https://www.brueggers.com/careers/
LENGTH: 4 weeks
LOCATION: Newton, MA, USA
PERSONAL GROWTH: ★★★★☆
KIND OF PERSONAL GROWTH MOST EXPERIENCED:
- Gained respect for all workers
*Varied depending on shifts. Usually:
- 5:30am: Wake up, bike to work
- 6am-2pm: Work
DESCRIPTION OF WORK/ACTIVITIES DONE:
- Take customers' orders
- Make bagel sandwiches
HOW MANY HOURS OF WORK DID YOU DO PER WEEK? 40
IN EXCHANGE OF WORK, PROVIDES:
- For your given tasks, try to assign meaningful purposes that extend beyond simply making some grumpy customer's sandwich. You'll find it much easier to keep your patience that way.
- I think this applies to other jobs as well, but if they don't respond to your application, try reaching out via phone call or personal visit. Things get busy, and sometimes managers forget to review applications unless you remind them!
MOST MEANINGFUL LESSON TAKEN AWAY:
- Understand that everyone is coming from different places, and you have no idea what kind of day your coworker/customer has had before talking to you--so try your best not to judge too quickly.
- Minimum wage jobs are EXTREMELY DIFFICULT, and a customer's bright smile with "Hi, how are you doing?" can really make the job feel a lot easier.