Hostess/Hostess Manager @ Hangar Pub and Grill
DONE BY: Zanny Merullo | Phillips Exeter '16 | (Possibly) U. of Malta '20
HOW OPPORTUNITY WAS FOUND: Applied to restaurants in my area
LENGTH: 6 months
LOCATION: Amherst, MA, USA
PERSONAL GROWTH: ★★★★★
- 11:00 am: wake up
- 12:00-2:30 pm: eat and rest
- 2:30-3:45 pm: workout
- 4:15pm-1 am: work
DESCRIPTION OF WORK/ACTIVITIES DONE:
Answering phones, serving food and drinks, taking to go orders, seating groups of people, busing dishes, managing employees, writing work schedule, holding meetings.
HOURS WORKED PER WEEK: 30-48 hours
- As a hostess: $11/hr + tip
- As a hostess manager: $13/hr + tip
- Work in a restaurant or a minimum wage job. Not only was I making money to spend on my car, travel, and things I wanted, but I learned a lot of valuable lessons and was exposed to many different sides of humanity.
- If you have no restaurant experience, I recommend starting as a host.
- I worked in the busiest restaurant in New England and recommend finding a busy restaurant.
MOST MEANINGFUL LESSON TAKEN AWAY:
Take pride in how hard you work and own up to mistakes in order to learn from them.